Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Day Trip To New Wilmington

Two Sundays ago was very busy... My dad played for a church service in New Wilmington, PA (close to Pittsburgh) and everybody excepting Gabriel and Duncan (who were in Lewisburgh helping Nana move) went along. I love the way my dad plays piano, and his style of praise music. We sang In Christ Alone, Crown Him With Many Crowns, Be Thou My Vision, and Open The Eyes Of My Heart. And then we sang one that my dad wrote.... everybody is crazy about it, and it's called Praise Your Name. But as I was saying, I was so enraptured with my dad's really playing out the songs, and by the depth of emotion in his voice, that it almost made me sob. Especially during the offertory when he played his own arrangement of I Surrender All, and one he wrote... Though He Slay Me....

Because I love this song so much, and because it makes me cry every time dad sings it, and because it's pretty much the best song on the face of the earth, I'm going to write down the lyrics....

My Lord, my God
I have no one else in heaven but you.
My life, my all is a fleeting shadow
Compared to you.
Everything I have, all I see and do
Will be swept away, but

Though he slay me,
Still will I hope in Him
Though he slay me
Still will I trust in the name of my God
Though the mountains crumble and fall in the sea
Though my path is dark and my eyes cannot see
Though He slay me
Still will I trust in the name of the Lord my God.

My life is Yours
I surrender all I have to your will
I give my life
As a living sacrifice to your will
I will put my trust
In your unfailing love
I will risk it all for

Though He slay me
Still will I hope in Him
Though He slay me
Still will I trust in the name of my God
Though the mountains crumble and fall in the sea
Though my path is dark and my eyes cannot see
Though He slay me
Still will I trust in the grace of the Lord my God.

Ahh, it's 100 times better when you can hear the music. Dad's hoping to work on recording a third CD of all his vocal songs... And I can't wait! Although nothing beats a live performance. :D

The sermon, spoken by Ralph Hawkins, was incredibly insightful and amazing. I'm still kind of dazed by the expressiveness that he used. He talked about Abram and Sara. How important it was back then to have an heir. And he talked about how even though Abram was near sighted in the physical sense, he was near sighted in the spiritual sense as well. He could not see down the road of that future... it held nothing for him. His only heir was a slave in his house. But God said: "Look up to the sky, and count the stars... if, indeed, you can" and proceeds to tell him that his offspring will be like the stars in the sky, even though he was so very old. It was not who Abram was that made this happen, but who God was and is.

Ahh...

Spiritually, we are as near sighted as Abram. How can we stumble along the paths of live by ourselves, on our own, in such a condition? Like I said in a previous post, pride makes us think that we can do it on our own. But no... not when it is clear that we know nothing certain about the future, not when we are as near sighted as Abram. Our trust belongs to God - He is our vision, and He is the one who will guide us - we cannot rely on our strength, or the strength of men.

After the service, there was a fund raiser for... something. :D (I just really cared about the food at that moment, so I didn't really see what it was for.) We set up a table and sold a very good amount of CD's. That was good. When the number of people began to decrease, I suddenly became aware of my four year old sister running wildly around holding a bright golden kitten, with a white throat, belly, and paws. The kitten was obviously panicked, my sister obviously not in a mood to care about that, and obviously intent on never letting it out of her sight. "LOOK! IT'S FREE!" she exclaimed excitedly. We then found that a few days ago, two girls had found the kitten in the park, had kept it, and now were giving it away. I have no idea how old she was, but she WAS horribly cute... We took her to mom. "Please mom.... Katharina died, and Ophelia left, and now we only had two." "Please dad?!" Daddy glanced at mom. He knew her aversion to cats, and so he said, "let's not take it..." Someone walked up and engaged him in conversation. "Please mom!" "Please!" "Look how cute she is?" "Mommy, how can you resist that?" the little kids (and me *grin*) pleaded with her. A grin flashed across her face: "Alright, fine." Then she turned around to face me, suddenly saying: "oh dear! What's wrong with me?" and then laughed.

So... we took her home....


...and she seemed to take to Elvis right away. (Elvis is a hound dog that we're watching while his owners are out of town.)


And we have *another* cat.



...And she likes to sleep in odd places. :D




I wanted to name her some Greek name, or Roman... I had Berenice in mind... I don't know why, but I really liked the sound of it. But of course no one else liked it at all, and so now her name is Bella. And that was our adventure for the day.


2 comments:

~The Mangos~ said...

WOW! What a day!
we now have a blog.
i think if click on THE MANGOS it will lead it to our blog.

Angela said...

Oh darling, I was JUST trying to remember the chorus to that song...and the Lord led me to your blog. Thank-you, a thousand times.