Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pride and Anxiety

Pride is a weakness that everyone struggles with. Benjamin Franklin said in his autobiography that no matter how hard you stamp it down, there's always some left that comes back up.... And when you think it's gone - well that's when you know it isn't.

What about anxiety? I am always anxious....about everything. But Philippians says - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

We are commanded to place implicit trust in Christ. After all, God is in control of all things, and everything is under his will, and so it would be foolish not to place our trust in him.

But so many times we disregard that.... we choose rather to be anxious.

A few weeks ago Mother read an article to us on this subject... it is from the after thoughts of that article that I have gathered my thoughts for this post. The point was that pride and anxiety are combined. For, if we will not place our trust in Christ, but rather are stubbornly anxious, is that not pride? We worry so often about what will happen... we get upset because things aren't going the way we planned for them to go, and then we become anxious about what will happen, because our plans were thwarted. But instead of flying to God and placing our trust in him, we just sit there, and remain in a state of anxiety, hoping that things will turn out okay.

But O! How much better off we would be if we humbled ourselves in the sight of the Lord, instead of remaining in pride...

This is so hard for me personally. Around here things have the tendency to... happen. And many times, I stress out about it all... way too much. The result is, I become emotionally/physically exhausted and drained. At least I think that's why, because when I don't worry, I am perfectly fine.

This entire post I have been trying to think of how I can end it decently. And the rather sad thing is, I can't think of a way to end it decently.

My parents are out of town at present, but as soon as they get home, I want to ask my Mother where she found that article, and then I'll post the link on here, so that you can read what I am trying to say by someone who articulates much better. :-)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post that hits a nerve with most all of us. Pride/anxiety, they as all sins are rooted in unbelief. We don't trust the Lord that He is sovereign and working all things for good. We want our idea of good... Lord, you are perfect in your GOODNESS. Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief.....

EmmaElaine said...

I COMEPLEATELY agree Ruby! It's nice to know I'm not the only one out here...
<3 Love you oodles! One thousand puzuzas! RANDOM!
Yeah, I'm hyper.
~Emma

Anonymous said...

Ruby, I truly believe it was the Lord who lead me to read the blog tonight, despise the fact that I was going to get off the computer due to sheer exhaustion. I am at a point in my summer and week where all I feel is momentary stress, definitely ANXIETY!, and worry, worry, worry! But when I read the blog it was like a knock on the head and put into perspective so much of what we learn about our Lord- simply Trust in Him. Thank You Lord, and thank you Ruby. What a gift this was to me, and so many others I'm sure!! Love you Hodel!!
McKenna :)